I made a goal of getting the quilting done on Alaina/Zoey’s quilt today and I DID IT!! I ran into some issues with my thread breaking because my needle needed to be replaced, but once I got that swapped out it was pretty quick sailing.
All I need to do now is square it up and add the binding. I need to buy some material for the binding because I don’t think I have enough left for it. Better safe than sorry. I ran into one snag that I didn’t notice until I had finished. I turned over the quilt to trim off the excess fabric when to my surprise I had accidentally caught up some of the extra fabric in the stitching. Ooopps.
I trimmed the fabric as close to the stitching as possible. I’m hoping when I wash it, the fabric will loosen enough that I’ll be able to pick it out. If not, then she’ll have a souvenir! I had one other issue when I came to the flowers. Should I quilt over the flowers and blanket stitching or go around? If I go over it, will it take away from the look? If I don’t go over it and the blanket stitching comes out nothing but the fusible web will be holding the flowers on. So, I decided it would be best to quilt over them.
I was ok with how it turned out. It doesn’t take away from the hand stitching very much and I feel better knowing the flowers won’t fall off if the hand stitching comes off.
The best $10 I ever spent was on these sexy gloves.
The fabric was so much easier to manipulate with these gloves on. The little rubber nubbins really helped me grip the quilt. I would recommend these to anyone. Of course, I don’t remember the name of the gloves, but if you see them at your quilt store pick them up! I haven’t used them to do free motion quilting yet, mainly because I haven’t done free motion quilting yet, but I think these will come in handy.
Looking forward to getting this quilt bound and handed off to Alaina/Zoey!