A Step Toward Beating Cancer

This morning I woke up with the thought “I don’t want to do this race today.” It wasn’t that I didn’t want to do the mileage, I was just tired and it was awfully cold in the house. I peeled myself out of bed about 6:30 and went to brush my teeth when…no water came out. I went into the living room and Mike said he thought the water had frozen in the well house. Last time this happened we just had to wait for it to thaw out and there weren’t any other issues. Unfortunately, this was not our problem. We had a busted pipe. Since it was supposed to be in the 50’s today and it was around 26 when we went to bed, we figured we’d be fine. Little did we know that it would actually get below 20.


I used bottled water to brush my teeth and piled on the clothes. It was still 20 degrees when we got to the park. When we walked toward the race area we noticed signs with all of the names of those people racers were running in honor of or memory of.



The race helps raise money to fight Lymphoma. Bill Crews started it after finding out he was in remission from the cancer. This was the 4th year the race was held. Mike and I picked up our packets and then did our best to stay warm. There was ice everywhere, which was rather pretty.



They ran out of safety pins, so we went numberless. I had my number in my pocket, but had no way of connecting it to my shirt. We thought the race started at 8, but that was when the kids and family 1 mile run/walk took place. They had all the kids (and some of the parents) lined up at the starting line and had them wait while a local choir sang. Once the song was over and the choir was back on their school bus they let the little ones start the race.



While they were doing their race Mike was running around trying to warm up and I was trying to determine whether it was possible to get frostbite in 20 degree weather. My toes and feet were so cold I could barely feel them. Everyone else was jumping around, including the mascot of the Valentine’s Day Run, Smoochie.



Finally, we were able to line up about 8:20. Mike and I walked to the back of the crowd. There weren’t very many people there which I’m guessing is a result of the weather. They began by reading the names of all of the people we were running for. Then we had the National Anthem. At this point I’m ready to call it quits and get back in the warm car. Finally, at 8:45 the gun sounds and we’re off. I broke two of my race rules today. #1) I started too fast. This caused me to get shin splints which slowed me down in the long run. #2) I didn’t pay attention to my time.


My feet were so cold I couldn’t really feel them as I was running out of the shoot. However, I definitely felt my shin splints. I passed Mike about mile 1 (his mile 2) He was hauling it! About this time all I could think of was finding a bathroom as soon as this race was done! Mike had finished the race and come back to meet me around mile 2. He finished the rest of the race with me. I got passed a few times, but at the end I also passed a couple of people. This is where my second rule was broken. I didn’t pay attention to where I was on my time. If I had, I would have seen that by pushing harder earlier I would have made a PR for this race. Instead, I was too preoccupied with finding a bathroom. I felt I was going so slow as it was because of my shins that there was no way I was even close to getting a good time. By the time I started pushing, it was too late. I finished in 50:20 (16 seconds shy of my PR). Mike finished in 20:50, which was a PR for him!


I was glad I had done the race once I was finished. While I wanted to stay in bed, I would have been very disappointed in myself. I’m already aggravated with myself for not pushing harder. Don’t get me wrong, I was pooped when I crossed the finish line but I still had something left I could have given.


Taken before the race


Mike actually passed Bill Crews to beat him at the end. He didn’t know who it was, but their times are neck and neck on the results page. Mike came in 4th for his age group and Bill came in 5th. It was good race once we got moving and warmed up. Toward the end we kept having to go around soccer people getting ready for a tournament but most of them were good enough to get out of the way.


I learned to always check my time. There is no reason why I shouldn’t have known where I was since I had the watch on my wrist! I also learned that I need to leave it all out on the race track. When I pass the finish line I should be gassed from giving it all I had. However, it was a good race and NO BLISTERS!!



Once we got home, we had to fix the pipe.



Notice anything odd about this? Yep…you’re right. The nozzle is hanging upside down. Unfortunately we couldn’t save the elbow joint so we did what we could for now to get our water running. We’ll revisit this again at a later date!

One thought on “A Step Toward Beating Cancer

  1. Carrie@FamilyFitnessFood.com

    Such a wonderful way to honor those you’re running for with the signs. Really nice.

    Beautiful picture of the ice. As I was waiting this AM to start my race, the DJ guy was announcing weather reports around the country. My 72 degree weather at the finish was beautiful, yet I was still freezing at the start. Major kudos to you for sticking it out.

    Next time, you’ll crush your PR!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *