10 for Texas, 2011

It is here….race day! Drug my butt out of bed at 5:45AM to make it to the race location by 6:30. The race was stationed at Town Market Center in The Woodlands.



There were tents all over and around the park for food and various running/walking paraphenalia.


There was a band playing while we waited. They did a pretty good job. Our race started at 7:30, but before that was the Kid’s 1 Mile Fun Run. Some of these kids were so tiny that I was surprised to see them running across the finish line! Of course, Mom and Dad could have carried them most of the way. They all got medals for competing, which was great!




The mascot was cheering every one on. I have to say, the mascot was a little sad looking!



I looked around for Clara, but she was no where to be found. Of course, there were 2200 participants there! All of the fast racers (6 min mile…wow) were at the front of the line and us slow people were at the back!



All of those people behind me…yeah, they passed me early on! The microphone kept cutting out but to help the crowd hear when the national anthem was over, everyone was singing along. Once the song was over and a prayer was said the bull horn sounded and we were off!



I was walking along when I heard my name and look who I saw!



This was an action pose, so she’s a little blurry but that’s Clara! We started off together but soon separated as she’s a bit faster than me. However, she never lost my field of vision! I did 3/2 run/walk intervals for the entire race. Since I’ve been trying to use the Pose method, running seems a bit more complicated. I constantly have an internal dialog going telling me to lean, push the hips forward, pull, pull, head up, lean. The good thing is, I think my time is faster running Pose but not as fast as I’d like it to be! About mile 3 I started feeling a blister on my right foot. Thankfully, it isn’t the huge blisters I’m use to getting but just a small one in a very odd place and on my pinky toe.


At this point, I was on Woodlands Parkway trotting along when a guy in a park truck asked me for my bib number. I had no clue why he wanted that when I realized I must have been in last place and he wanted my number to pass on to the rest of the volunteers. That was a blow to my confidence! So, I kept on keeping on. It’s the only thing I could do at this point. I didn’t want to be last and I could see some people ahead of me, so I did the best I could to pass at least 1 person. I was debating my strategy when all of a sudden, movement caught my eye.



That’s right…my own private mascot! First of all, it was daylight and armadillos are nocturnal. However, this little guy/girl was running across 4 lanes of traffic to get to the wooded area. It was a fun site to see. I took it as an omen that I was going to finish ahead of at least 1 person! The run was rather boring, scenery wise but there were some fun signs and people on the sidelines. One sign said “Run like zombies are chasing you” but unfortunately I didn’t get a picture of it. There was also a woman dancing around in a 70’s get up to Funkytown.



It cracked me up! That person in front of me is Clara. Up to this point I had passed 4 other people. Yep, that’s right…FOUR others! Around mile 8 I ended up passing Clara. She was hurting pretty good. She had injured her calf during the run clinic and it was acting up on her again. I ran the last bit to the finish line and ended up crossing a few seconds before Clara. I thought I might be able to pass the woman in front of me but I couldn’t get enough speed going in that little bit. They were handing out the awards after I crossed.



I finished in 2:33:16 according to my watch. They should have the official time up before too long. Clara and I were able to get a picture together after the race. We were a bit sweaty, salty, and tired but it was still a good picture!



I had a fear that I wouldn’t be able to finish the race in time and when Mr. Park Ranger got my bib number my fears escalated, but all in all I finished strong and think I could have gone another 2-3 miles if need be. Will I run this one again next year? I’m not too sure. The after run party wasn’t all that fun! Then again, if I finished in a reasonable time maybe it would have been better. Next race on the docket, at least at this time, is the Kingwood Marathon. Time to get more training mileage in!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *