I am going on a trip in a few weeks and wanted to make a travel bag. The pattern I had would make a large enough bag where I could put my small purse and anything else I may want to carry on with me. Unfortunately, I measured wrong. As soon as I let the rotary cutter fly I realized my mistake. So…I decided when you screw something up beyond repair, just repurpose it for something else!
I ended up making a small purse instead. I didn’t have a pattern. I was just trying to make the best out of my mistake so I was flying from the seat of my pants. However, I really like it!
Most of my purses are big enough to carry all my stuff, which is probably why my purses end up weighing the same as a baby elephant. This one will force me to only carry my essentials. I really liked this fabric. The outside has the caged bird (do you know why it sings?!) and the inside has the free birds!
I ended up adding a snap, just to make sure not too much falls out if it tips over. All in all, I’m happy with how it turned out!
I haven’t had much time this month to work on my quilts and I didn’t have my February OPAM done yet, so I figured now was the perfect time to work on a small project I’ve been wanting to try. The question was, which project?! I saw this cute purse on the Moda Bake Shop and figured I’d give it a try!
I decided to use the Sonnet Charm pack, with green and cream as one color way and brown and teal as the other:
I had some peltex, and figured I’d use that instead of batting to make it a little stiffer. That was a mistake. It was quite difficult to maneuver the bag with it being as stiff as it was. If I make this bag again, I’ll use batting.
Here I have the two color ways sewn together:
Once I finally got the pieces to fit together as close as possible, I sewed the two color ways together:
Add some handles and we have a completed purse!
It looks much better in the picture than it does in person! Oh, and don’t flip it inside out, even though it’s reversible, because the brown and teal bottom did not sew together well!