Have I ever mentioned how much I love my Hubster? He is one of the best people I’ve had the pleasure of being part of my life. I take after my Mom in that I tend to be a bit frugal when it comes to certain things. One of those things is sewing machines. I’ve been drooling over a new sewing machine for years but just couldn’t pull the trigger because of the pricing. This is where Mike steps in. He went behind my back to talk to my Aunt Linda to find out which sewing machine I’ve been wanting. She helped him by getting pricing and details. AND…they did all of this without me catching on. Pretty good! Friday I left work early to pick up my present! The store had just sold their last one, so they called one of their other stores and had them hold it for Mike to pick up on Saturday morning.
They had an outstanding financing plan, so I don’t feel so bad about the price. I asked Mike why he decided to get this particular gift and he said it was because he knew I wouldn’t pay that much for it myself…so he did it for me.
The Artista 640E comes with the embroidery unit. I’ve never done any embroidering, so this should be something fun to dabble in. It also comes with this cool little case for all your extra feet, bobbins, etc.
I pulled the machine out and plug it in to begin playing!
There was one slight problem though. The machine wasn’t feeding the fabric through. The feed dogs kept going up and down, but not front to back like they should. I was quite upset because I was ready to rock! I looked in the manual, but there wasn’t anything in there for troubleshooting that particular problem. Mike kept saying it had to be a setting somewhere, but there wasn’t anything in the manual or on the CD that came with it. So, I hopped onto Google and did some searching. Suprisingly, there isn’t very much help out there for my issue. I threw my hands up and decided I was just going to have to take it back to the store. I’m not a sewing guru, but I’m not an idiot either; However, I was having no luck figuring out the issue.
An hour later Mike asked if you could take the plate off and maybe get a better look. With a glimmer of hope I went back into my sewing room and took of the plate. Unfortunately, there wasn’t much else to see. I put the plate back on and decided to try it one more time. This time IT WORKED!! I guess the issue was the plate not being on there just right and it was hampering the way the feed dogs moved. After all of that, I didn’t have time to do any sewing, but I went to bed a happy woman.
Today I sewed together my first block using the new sewing machine. It was outstanding!
The sewing experience, not the block! I was able to adjust the speed very easily. My other sewing machine was a White Jeans Machine and had a touchy foot pedal that caused the needle to take off when I just wanted to start slowly. I’m also loving the needle down setting. Unfortunately, my husband forgot to get the BSR when he picked up the sewing machine so I haven’t had a chance to play with that yet, but I have no doubt I’ll love that too!