Tag Archives: OPAM

Traveling in Comfort

I found an adorable travel pillow that I had to try out! It went together very quickly. I think it took me thirty minutes to get this puppy put together. It took me longer to stuff it since I was using old batting that I tore up so it wouldn’t be so lumpy.

I have to say I really like this pillow!! What great presents this would make. Even Ruby likes it!

After all, it does look a little bit like a dog bone.

Prototype #1

My friend’s (Jackie) mother found out that I enjoy sewing and issued a challenge for me. She was wanting a “Bridge bag” that she could take with her when she plays bridge to hold her score card and money instead of having to take her purse. With that in mind, I put together the first trial bag to see how it works and what needs to be changed. My lovely husband played model for me!

I really like how the outside turned out with the decorative stitching (hard to see in this picture) and beautiful wildflower fabric.

I think the bag needed to be a little wider to make it work better. I also wasn’t too hip on the pocket I put in for the scorecard. Once I put the lining in the bag the pocket got quite loose. That’s one thing I will need to fix. I also need exact measurements of her card to make sure the pocket is the right size! I also added a pocket for her money with a small spot to add a pencil or pen.

I’m not thrilled with it, but I’m happy with the outcome. I have something to solid to build from for the next one. I think I’ll add some magnets to close the top on the next one.

I don’t play Bridge so I’m not sure what all she would need.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Traveling Light

I am going on a trip in a few weeks and wanted to make a travel bag. The pattern I had would make a large enough bag where I could put my small purse and anything else I may want to carry on with me. Unfortunately, I measured wrong. As soon as I let the rotary cutter fly I realized my mistake. So…I decided when you screw something up beyond repair, just repurpose it for something else!

I ended up making a small purse instead. I didn’t have a pattern. I was just trying to make the best out of my mistake so I was flying from the seat of my pants. However, I really like it!

Most of my purses are big enough to carry all my stuff, which is probably why my purses end up weighing the same as a baby elephant. This one will force me to only carry my essentials. I really liked this fabric. The outside has the caged bird (do you know why it sings?!) and the inside has the free birds!

I ended up adding a snap, just to make sure not too much falls out if it tips over. All in all, I’m happy with how it turned out!

Finishing Touches

My husband and I have been painting our master bathroom and trying to make it look like a finished room. Of course, we moved in 6 years ago, but that’s beside the point. The walls were originally light blue and navy blue, but I decided to repaint it gray. That way, when I get the itch to change the color all I have to do is buy new towels, wash clothes, and a shower curtain rather than paint again! This time I’ve decided to go with yellow, white and gray. I haven’t been able to find curtains or a shower curtain in the color scheme I’m looking for. Thankfully I did find some material on my trip to LA. So, drum roll please……

Here’s my valence I made with that material!

I have never done the gathering technique but everyone makes it look so easy. Well, it wasn’t all that easy! I kept breaking thread. However, I am happy with the final product!

Now, maybe I need to try some of these other tutorials I’ve found for making your own shower curtain!

Have any of you tried making a shower curtain? How was it?

Colorful/Personalized Coffee Koozie

I finally decided to try to make a koozie for my coffee/hot chocolate cups. Not that the paper ones don’t work well, but they’re just not that much fun! It was a lot of trial and error, but I’m happy with the outcome.

My first one was a little small for what I was wanting. So, I broke out more fabric and tried again. This time, I added 1/2 an inch to each side of my template on the fusible fleece.

After cutting out the fleece, I cut two pieces of fabric to make the outside and inside of the koozie. I then sandwiched them together and ironed the top fabric to the fusible fleece.

I then cut the fabric around the fleece so I could better see where I was quilting!

I did some simple channel stitching. The trick was to make sure you follow the curve of the template so the stitches look straight once it’s sewn together.

After pressing the koozie I cut out two strips of binding 2 inches wide and sewed one on the top and bottom.

I decided to machine stitch the binding down instead of hand stitching. So, I made sure to use a lot of pins to keep things in place.

The last step was to sew the two ends together using a 1/4 inch seam.

The extra 1/2 inch on this template seemed to be just the right size!

They both went together very quickly and are just darn cute!! Now, to give them a test run tomorrow on my way to work!